Hillcrest High School offers your child the opportunity to reach his/her full potential in a disciplined, stimulating and progressive environment. As mentioned earlier, high academic expectations are placed on our students, with work being continuously evaluated throughout the year. A broad extra-curricular programme is offered and all students are required to participate in two activities per year.
Hillcrest High School is fast becoming an e-learning school. Students are encouraged to bring a tablet, laptop or smart phone to school for use in class under their teachers' guidance. Secure lock-up facilities with CCTV monitoring are available to students on the main fields but it is ultimately their responsibility to keep their device secure. E-learning in no way replaces but instead serves to enhance conventional teaching methods in what is referred to as the Blended Learning Model.
Past Student Achievers
We pride ourselves on having produced many fine academics, sportsmen and sportswomen over the years, many of whom are showcased in under Past Achievers. Please do take a moment to browse through this section of the website.
The School’s Overall Achievements
- We are consistently one of the top schools, having been placed recently in the Sunday Times’ Top 100 Schools in South Africa;
- Our learners have been placed regularly in the top 40;
- In 1996 and in 2012, we had the top candidate in Kwazulu-Natal;
- Our exemption and pass rates are well above the Provincial average.
- Grade 12 KwaZulu-Natal Young Geographers Conference
- Grade 11 South African Young Historians Conference
- Grade 10 and 12 Alan Paton Literary Competition
- Top places in the English, Afrikaans, Science, Typing and Computer Olympiads
- Maskew Miller Longman Trophy for the Best Performing School in the Pinetown District (Matric 2000)
- ELITS Provincial Library Award for Excellence in 2003
Students are required to study a minimum of seven subjects. These subjects are on seven 'lines' and ONE subject must be selected from each line.
|Line 1||Line 2||Line 3||Line 4||Line 5||Line 6||Line 7|
|English (ENGM)||Afrikaans (AFRS)||Mathematics(MATH)||Life Orientation||Physical Science (PHSC)||
|Physical Science (PHSC)|
|isiZulu (ZULS)|| Mathematical
|Life Science (LS)||History (HIST)||Visual Art (VA)|
|Business Studies (BS)||Information
|Dramatic Arts (DA)|
|Travel & Tourism (TT)||Consumer Studies (CS)||Geography (GEO)|
& Design (EGD)
|Business Studies (BS)
Consumer Studies (CS)
Control Tests and Exam Timetables
Current parents, please consult the school’s d6 communicator for this information.
The school is now offering extra lessons in Mathematics and Physical Science in the afternoons after school:
Monday – Thursday Mon/Wed Mrs Sparks
2.45 – 3.15 pm Tues/Thurs Mr Reuben
Monday & Tuesday Miss Badenhorst
2.45 – 3.45 pm
Students wishing to make use of this service must report to class immediately after school ends. In the case of students who perform poorly, they will be REQUIRED to attend lessons.